Thursday, February 9, 2017

#createthisoracledeck challenge coming in March

Have you ever thought of creating your own oracle deck? Of course you have! I know because I get questions about this ALL. THE. TIME. I've even written an entire article about my process of creating decks which you can find as a guest blog post here on Little Red Tarothttp://littleredtarot.com/how-to-make-your-own-tarot-or-oracle-deck/


THE CHALLENGE
One of the things that always surprises me is how super artistic people seem stuck in terms of creating an oracle deck. I'm talking about YOU!! I've seen your drawings and doodles on Instagram. They're awesome. Just put them onto cards and you have an oracle deck! I realize there is a bit of creative paralysis that interferes with ART-ing sometimes so I've developed a challenge to get past that obstacle. It's called #createthisoracledeck challenge and it runs during March on Instagram. It's a way to create a unique, personal oracle your way. I hope it will also help you understand how to translate a symbol into meaning. For some of you, this might be the first step to creating an oracle deck you're ready to share with the world.


This will be done Wreck This Journal style (I'm referring to series of journaling books by Keri Smith) with a prompt for each card. Join in by following the daily prompts to create your own personal oracle deck. You can draw, collage, or use apps to create your deck. We'll do a total of 30 cards.



WHAT YOU NEED
✨Cardstock, blank cards, index cards, etc. You can find blank card decks on amazon and makeplayingcards.com
✨Pencils & non-bleed pens and markers for drawing (rubber stamping is also a great idea)
✨Magazines, stickers, scissors and glue stick for collage
✨Apps like Tayasui Sketches, ArtStudio, to make digital drawings

*Remember that using watercolors or too much glue will curl your blank cards or index cards and they will be difficult to shuffle.

The intention of this challenge is to create a usable oracle deck without getting hung up on the details. That's why there are prompts and a time limitation of one day per card. If it's taking you more than a day to do each card, you're doing too much. If you're getting stuck in a perfection rut, repeat this mantra: "It doesn't have to be perfect. I have plenty of great ideas and unlimited opportunities to create." 



Feel free to make your deck as simple or complex as you like. It's not about the art. I mean, seriously, have you seen my drawings??? It's about creating a unique tool that reflects you + having fun. The prompts are deceptively simple. But they reflect a variety of symbolic systems such as numerology, dreamwork, inner child work, totem animals, and more. I'll also be sharing spreads throughout the month to use with your deck.


We'll also be creating a guidebook to accompany your deck. It will include your personal symbols and interpretations of the prompts. You can use a plain composition notebook or sketch pad. Some of you may want to take an art journaling or mind mapping approach to it. My guidebook is purposely more decorative than my deck and I've recreated my simple line drawings. But this isn't necessary for your guidebook.


WHEN WE BEGIN
March 1, 2017. A list of prompts will be posted on Instagram and here on the blog at the end of February.

After completion of the challenge, I plan to assemble a playbook with the challenge steps, prompts, spreads, and hopefully some of your photos for inspiration. It will be available as a free guide here on my blog.

Follow me on Instagram for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment